Index Thread Archive Oct-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2000Index by Author for Oct-2000Index by Date for Oct-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3SS vs. C3S on 6 and 17 Meters
Author: Thor Hallen <thorh@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 24-Oct-2000 07:31:33
I recently put up a C3SS and everything performed as expected except SWR on
17 meters was very high and beyond the capture range of my automatic
antenna tuner. I suspected that it had to do with the linear loading used
by the C3SS so I created EZNEC models for the C3SS and C3S for comparison.
As expected, the EZNEC simulations confirmed the high SWR of the C3SS (
>50:1 ) on 17 meters compared to <10:1 with the C3S. The C3S is able to
function on 17 meters because the full length elements on 20 and 15
compensate each other and average out close to 17 meters. The linear
compensation. Assuming the C3SS loading wires behave like traps at high
frequency, I noticed that the 20 meter element segments closest to the boom
should resonate near 6 meters. EZNEC predicted a very low SWR ( <2:1 ) at
51.5 MHz and this was confirmed by actual measurements on my C3SS. The 6
meter performance is surprising good with a maximum gain near 10 dBi at 50
MHz. I was thinking about converting my C3SS to a C3S but the C3SS is so
good on 6 meters that I will keep it. I have confirmed the 6 meter
performance in practice and verified the excellent gain and F/B, F/S
ratios. How's that for serendipity?

25-Oct-2000 Edward Avila
25-Oct-2000 Thor Hallen
25-Oct-2000 David Aslin
24-Oct-2000 Guy K2AV Olinger
24-Oct-2000 wa4dou@juno.com
24-Oct-2000 Jeff Stai WK6I
24-Oct-2000 Pete Smith
* 24-Oct-2000 Thor Hallen
This Author (Oct-2000)
  Subject   Date
C3SS vs. C3S on 6 and 17 Meters 25-Oct-2000
* C3SS vs. C3S on 6 and 17 Meters 24-Oct-2000