Index Thread Archive Oct-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2000Index by Author for Oct-2000Index by Date for Oct-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Force12Talk Roof-mounted C3/4
Author: K7LXC@aol.com <K7LXC@aol.com>
Date: 26-Oct-2000 08:31:02
In a message dated 10/25/00 9:59:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, list@qth.com
writes:

> From: "Bill Roberts" <k8dxx@home.com>
> To: <Force12Talk@qth.com>
> Subject: [Force 12 Talk] C4SLX Experiences
> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:29:45 -0700
>
> Greetings,
>
> I live in an area where antennas can not rise more than 12 feet above the
> roof. I currently use a HyGain TH3MK4 on a 4.5 foot Glen Martin tower
> mounted on the second story of our home. The TH3 does amazingly well but
> want better is to be both human and a ham!
>
> I am contemplating getting a 9 FT, 18.5 sq. ft. capacity Glen Martin tower,
> placing a C4SLX just about the tower and some satellite antennas 3 ft above
> the C4SLX. I have been a ham for 37 years so I have my own theories as to
> whether its worth my effort and expense. However, what are YOUR
experiences
> with the C4SLX?
>
> In general, how is its performance compared to the common trapped 3 element
> tribander (regardless of height, a factor that I can't change)? For
> example, have you replaced one of the common 3 element models with a C4 at
> the same height? What differences did you notice?

Hi, Bill --

While anecdotal info can be interesting and informative, the tribander
comparison report that N0AX and myself wrote is the only on-the-air
performance report. We only tested on 3L trap tribander (the TA-33) but
suspect the results for others (A3, TH3, etc.) may be similar. The C3 was
significantly better and the comment in our report is that "it thinks it's a
bigger antenna". You won't regret installing one.

> How well does it work on 17? I'd assume you need a tuner. How about
> directivity? Notice much in actual use?

Anecdotal info from my customers indicates that they're having success
and fun on 17M with a tuner.

> How does it work on 40?

Like N6BT says, a horizontal dipole is a great antenna. The drawback to
the F12 design is bandwidth - about 130 kHz - but it's a simple effective way
to get on 40M. I'd recommend it.

> I realize that being at just over 40 feet and 10
> feet above a shingle roof will degrade performance and possibly, bandwidth
> (ouch). Anyone out there with experience on 40 with a roof mounted C4SLX?

I've installed about a half-dozen C3 variants on 9-foot GME roofmounts
and they all worked great for the compromises involved.

> Right now, I have a GAP Voyager IV vertical (45 ft vertical
dipole---doesn't
> have a concrete base so they leave it alone, despite the height) which
kicks
> butt on 40. It may still do so compared to a roof mounted beam on extreme
> DX. What about the stations in between? How well does the C4SLX hear on
40
> compared to a dipole, your old vertical, etc?

The GAP will obviously do better for low angle DX so with both antennas
you'll have a choice between low and high angle - a winning combination.

Cheers, Steve K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech

31-Oct-2000 Gorsline Family
26-Oct-2000 Pete Smith
* 26-Oct-2000 K7LXC@aol.com
This Author (Oct-2000)
  Subject   Date
* Force12Talk Roof-mounted C3/4 26-Oct-2000