Index Thread Archive Oct-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2000Index by Author for Oct-2000Index by Date for Oct-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Force12Talk Roof-mounted C3/4
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 26-Oct-2000 09:26:44
At 09:28 AM 10/26/00 EDT, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 10/25/00 9:59:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, list@qth.com
>writes:
>> How does it work on 40?
>
> Like N6BT says, a horizontal dipole is a great antenna. The drawback to
>the F12 design is bandwidth - about 130 kHz - but it's a simple effective
way
>to get on 40M. I'd recommend it....

>> How well does the C4SLX hear on 40
>> compared to a dipole, your old vertical, etc?
>
> The GAP will obviously do better for low angle DX so with both antennas
>you'll have a choice between low and high angle - a winning combination.

The only thing I'd add is that, by virtue of its pattern and horizontal
polarization, the C4SXL will capture less atmospheric noise and QRM than a
vertical, and hear better as a consequence. As for angle of radiation, a
lot depends on how good the radial field under the GAP is -- if you take
the 4-5 dBd of the C-4SXL in its forward direction, rolled off at lower
angles because of the low height, and compare to the pattern of the GAP,
also rolled off at lower angles to whatever degree, I'm not sure there will
be THAT much difference in gain toward the Dx station.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at
http://www.qsl.net/n4zr

31-Oct-2000 Gorsline Family
* 26-Oct-2000 Pete Smith
26-Oct-2000 K7LXC@aol.com
This Author (Oct-2000)
  Subject   Date
C3SS vs. C3S on 6 and 17 Meters 24-Oct-2000
Florida Ham fights UV - uses tape??????????? 24-Oct-2000
* Force12Talk Roof-mounted C3/4 26-Oct-2000
preventing icing 14-Oct-2000
preventing icing 14-Oct-2000
Unsubscribing, etc. 04-Oct-2000
Whats all this "ICE" talk? 15-Oct-2000