Index Thread Archive Oct-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2000Index by Author for Oct-2000Index by Date for Oct-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Antenna Wizards!
Author: Edward Avila <EAvila@caiso.com>
Date: 30-Oct-2000 12:26:16
This is for the antenna wizards out there: I've installed a Force12 C3e on a
9' Glenn Martin tower on my 2nd-story roof which puts the C3e about 36' off
the ground. Everything is working as designed with the exception of an
interesting problem. When the yagi is pointed East my VSWR goes up to 3:1 on
20 meters from it's normally flat 1:1 VSWR. When I swing the beam away from
the Easterly directionn the VSWR drops to its "normal" low state, picks up
somewhat when pointed West, but drops again when pointed South. For a
visual, see my website www.k6sdw.org That's me next to the tower and that
BIG amount of metal East of the tower is our heat-pump. Notice the heat-pump
is East of the tower and the C3e hangs over it when pointed East,
South-East. And again, the butt of the beam hangs over it when pointed West
or North-West.

So, I'm guessing that the large amount of metal East of the tower is
coupling to the C3 and causing the high VSWR. Now, using an antenna tuner
easily brings down the SWR, but what is happening to my radiation pattern --
I have no idea?! And of course, East and North-East are my two most
important directions...it figures! HI!

Now the question for the antenna wizards: Short of removing the 5-element
6mtr yagi at the top and pushing the Force12 C3e up another 5' is there a
way of electrically "hiding" the heat-pump from the yagi when on 20 meters?
The other bands are not being coupled to this mass of metal so they don't
present a problem.

Thanks much........73........k6sdw

* 30-Oct-2000 Edward Avila
This Author (Oct-2000)
  Subject   Date
* Antenna Wizards! 30-Oct-2000
C3SS vs. C3S on 6 and 17 Meters 25-Oct-2000