Index Thread Archive Nov-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Nov-2000Index by Author for Nov-2000Index by Date for Nov-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Tailtwister -Mag antenna
Author: Kathy and Jurgen Nittner <nittner@home.com>
Date: 07-Nov-2000 09:19:32
Without getting into much technical stuff I am sharing my findings with
Ham M, Tailwister etc. I used large arrays with all of them . They will last
some time, no problem on turning the antennas, but it is the brake that
leads to failure. There is enough torque generated but when the brake sets,
it tears up the housing because large antennas have the tendency to coast to
a stop. A delayed action braking will overcome that problem. The tail
twister has a good wedge that will last for some time.

It's the constant back and forth movement of the wind which is causing most
damage to the rotators.
An old friend of mine had a 5el 20m Hi Gain and the 4 el 40m KLM up. He
went from Tailtwister to HDR and Orion.... They all failed after some time.
(I know, because I fixed them) The only rotator which was big enough was
the old Telrex Big Bertha. There are newer big rotators on the market but I
am not familiar with them.
I have the 4 el KLM 40m on a 42' boom and a Force12, 5BA on a 32' boom up
for 5 or 6 years. At first I had the Orion up and got tired to climb up
once a year and repairing it. I installed Big Bertha at ground level and had
no more problems.
Good luck and I am in windy Indiana !
Jurgen N9RD

> For what it is worth, I used a tailtwister with a
> Mag 20-30-40 tri.bander at my OZ8RO QTH for 4 years,
> in windy Denmark.
>
> 73 Rag LA5HE

* 07-Nov-2000 Kathy and Jurgen Nittner
07-Nov-2000 Les Peters
07-Nov-2000 =?iso-8859-1?q?ragnar=20otterstad?=
This Author (Nov-2000)
  Subject   Date
* Tailtwister -Mag antenna 07-Nov-2000