Index Thread Archive Dec-2000 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Dec-2000Index by Author for Dec-2000Index by Date for Dec-2000   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Linear Loading
Author: Charlie Ocker <charlie.ocker@tellabs.com>
Date: 14-Dec-2000 14:36:41
vogler@innercite.com wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I just got back into ham radio from a long layoff (1981). Around 1982 I did
> graduate work at the MSEE level and took quite a few courses in
> electromagnetic theory and antennas. In those courses I don't remember any
> references to linear loading.
>
> What is linear loading? After reading both the ARRL antenna handbook and
> ON4UN's low band dxing book it appears that linear loading is some black
> magic technique to make an antenna mechanically shorter. Are there any
> references available that discuss this both intuitively and theoretically so
> I could have a better feel on what is going on? Is linear loading the
> accepted name in academia, or is it referred to by some other name?
>
> Secondly, how do the designers at F12 and other companies model the linear
> in some 'fudge' factors, or is there some analysis codes that can handle
> this situation? Boy that would be fun modeling my c4sxl with the electric
> field integral equation (EFIE) from scratch. I think I'll get right on that.
>
> 73s
>
> Bill, w6qd

Hi Bill,

Linear loading, as commonly used in amateur radio antennas, is nothing
more than an inductor that is built from a shorted length of parallel
wire (or rod) transmission line. I have a homebrew 45' long 40m
rotatable dipole that uses linear loading. MININEC-3 (freeware)
calculated the feedpoint impedance to be around 22 -j300 ohms with the
antenna at 93' over perfect ground. I knew that I needed +j300 ohms of
inductance to bring the antenna to resonance. Half of 300 is 150, so
each inductor needed to be +j150 ohms. I built a parallel transmission
line from 1/2" and 3/8" telescoping aluminum tubing, spaced about 3"
apart. I forget what the characteristic Z of this line was... doesn't
really matter. I also forget the formula that I used to determine where
the line needed to be shorted to give me +j150 ohms at 7.050 MHz.... I'm
sure that you can find it in your textbooks or the ARRL Antenna
Handbook. In practice, I only needed a small amount of tweaking (+/- an
inch) from what the formula predicted to achieve resonance. I now had a
resonant antenna with a feedpoint Z of 22 ohms. I stepped this up to 50
ohms with the use of a helical hairpin match. It turned out to be 3 or
4 turns, about 4" or so in diameter, of 1/4" copper tubing. The
feedpoint bolts on the dipole are about 3.5" apart, so that is how long
the hairpin inductor is. I feed it with a 1:1 current balun. Mounted
93' in the air, it appears to perform quite well.

Hope this helps.

73 es gl,
Charlie N9CO

14-Dec-2000 Barry Kirkwood