Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: 5BA
Author: Kathy and Jurgen Nittner <nittner@home.com>
Date: 01-Jan-2001 18:50:39
Jerry , I have my 5BA up since force 12 started making antennas. I am not
sure but that is probably 5-7 years. It has performed very good. You get
true mono bander performance and it is probably the best 5band antenna on
the market . I do have some problems with high SWR on 15 but it may be due
to stacking it with my 4 el KLM for 40m with only 13' of spacing. The
antenna is a bit weak on 12 and 10m but if the band is open you can work
what you hear.
The nicest thing is the easy assembly and feed system which makes it very
broadband so that you can work cw and ssb without any noticeable difference
in SWR. I live in N/W Indiana and have not had very much ice on it so I can
not tell you how it would do but someone who had a 4BA posted a message the
other said that it survived.
The thin elements have plenty of give in wind storms and bounce right back.
The only antenna which would have outperformed it at the time of purchase
was a 12 el Log periodic from DX Engineering the LP20 but I stayed away from
it because I felt that would get better customer service from Force 12.
The thing I don't like about the antenna is that their standard hardware is
galvanized steel . When I was up on the tower a month ago I noticed that
the U bolts were rusty and should be replaced some day. If you want more
information, please contact me direct.

Jürgen N9RD
nittner@home.com

01-Jan-2001 Earl