Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR Balun ... de K8NA
Author: Ted Pauck <k8na@home.com>
Date: 10-Jan-2001 19:27:24
I will be ordering a C-31XR soon.

In the data sheets on Page 11, it says "All that is needed is a 1:1 balun
(like the Force 12 B-1) or RF Choke". Has anyone used
an RF choke in place of the Force -12 B-1 Balun with FORCE 12 antennas?

I have been making my own RF Chokes for monobanders for many
years, using Coax. It is a design originally published in Ham Radio
Magazine, by W6TC, March 1980. These RF Chokes are excellent,
and I never have had a problem.

I have a KLM KT34-XA antenna with the KLM balun.
The balun died, and the beam is useless. It is on top of the
tower and on top of the mast. There are other antennas on
that mast also. It is such a big job to take
everything down, I figured I would replace the KT34-XA with the
C-31XR. But I am worried about using a commercial made
balun. I was told that the KLM balun would never be a problem.
Well, it is, and will cost me a lot of time and money to fix the
problem. I don't run super power, so that isn't the reason for
the balun going bad.

73/Good DX ... de Ted K8NA

10-Jan-2001 WA9ALS - John
10-Jan-2001 Pete Smith