Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR Balun ... de K8NA
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 10-Jan-2001 20:50:47
At 08:25 PM 1/10/01 -0500, Ted Pauck wrote:
>I will be ordering a C-31XR soon.
>
>In the data sheets on Page 11, it says "All that is needed is a 1:1 balun
>(like the Force 12 B-1) or RF Choke". Has anyone used
>an RF choke in place of the Force -12 B-1 Balun with FORCE 12 antennas?

Yes definitely -- I used one on the 40m element of my C-4, though I
switched back to the B-1 when I converted to an EF-240S. The B-1 is a
pretty good piece of equipment for $30 or thereabouts. Reason for changing
was purely mechanical.

>I have been making my own RF Chokes for monobanders for many
>years, using Coax. It is a design originally published in Ham Radio
>Magazine, by W6TC, March 1980. These RF Chokes are excellent,
>and I never have had a problem.

Agreed, although it's been documented on Towertalk that the usual "bundle
of coax" isn't much use -- it needs to be flat-wound, with the number of
turns depending on frequency.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database