Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR Balun ... de K8NA
Author: John Petrich <petrich@u.washington.edu>
Date: 11-Jan-2001 22:10:00
All,

Ted's comments and questions about balun function, balun reliability,
and coiled coaxial cable baluns, the "Badger" balun, are interesting and
thought
provoking.

In my experience, the older KLM baluns were the older "voltage" mode
balun style that relied on flux linkages to create the balun transformer
action. Mine failed too.

The "Badger" balun, constructed from coiled coaxial transmission line,
was developed and popularized to address the limitations of the old style
"voltage" mode
baluns that were popular 30 years ago. George Badger's contributions were:

1) an organized description, for the amateur audience, of the theory
and function of the coiled transmission line version of the "current" mode
balun style, that is
now popular.

2) measure for the first time, for the amateur literature, the common
mode
impedance of a coiled transmission line balun using the most modern
impedance measuring equipment available at that time.

3) described creative ways in which this style of transmission line
transformer or current mode style balun can be
configured to deliver impedance transformations.

The coiled transmission line balun is the circuit equivalent of a low Q
parallel tuned resonant circuit. The result of this balun configuration is
to create quite a large common mode impedance on the transmission line over
a not very broad bandwidth. These style of "current" mode balun is ideal
for a single band system because of it's high common mode impedance and low
loss characteristics. The down side of this design is the relatively narrow
common mode impedance "bandwidth" and the need to accurately construct and
TEST the balun for the desired common mode impedance at the frequency of
interest. "Close" may not be good enough for some applications.

Real world tribanders such as the KT-34, multibanders such as the
C-31XR, and the common practice of co-locating multiple antennas, from 80
meters to UHF, on the same tower demands a much better balun solution. In
ALL of these installations, ALL the elements of ALL the antennas couple to
each other because of the co-location of all the antennas in each of the
other antenna's near field, and the far field for that manner. Success for
these types of complex antenna systems relies on 1) minimizing spurious
resonances with the different antennas, 2) physical and electrical symmetry
of the antennas, and 3) feed line isolation to minimize common mode
currents. It is my opinion that ALL the antenna feedpoints should be
isolated at ALL frequencies by baluns with sufficient common mode impedance
to preserve electrical symmetry and minimize common mode currents. I do not
think that coiled transmission line baluns, "Badger" baluns, are the best
solution to the problem that Ted is wrestling with. A "current" mode
broadband balun, such as the Force-12 B-1 balun would fit the requirements
the best. This style of broad band balun will isolate ALL the feedpoints at
ALL the antennas through out the HF frequencies for the co-located antennas
in the antenna system. The choice of balun is not based on wind load,
resistance to birds nests, or cost, but rather based on conservative
practice to preserve the desired functional characteristics of the antennas.

My experience with the Force-12, B-1 baluns is excellent. These baluns
are constructed with ferrite beads strung on Teflon coax. These baluns
demonstrate a measured broadband common mode impedance of about 800 ohms
from below 40 meters to above 10 meters. They are capable of sustained
high power operation and are sealed against the weather. I prefer these
style baluns to any that I have used in over 45 years of ham experience.

I am very interested in others' thoughts on Ted's question and my views in
particular.

Regards,
John Petrich, W7HQJ

12-Jan-2001 w4dup@juno.com