Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Salty Dog - 2 x 2 80 M Antenna tests
Author: David Aslin <david@aslin.demon.co.uk>
Date: 12-Jan-2001 15:46:10
Alan, FWIW, I used a 1/8 wavelength spaced pair of Force12 180BVs in the UK
to get top 5 places in SOSB80 ARRL, CQWW etc. This was a driven array with
Lewallen phasing. A parasitic array would have simplified matters, so I'd
be interested to hear how your proposed array works if you go ahead with
it.

The 180BVs proved excellent radiators from a construction/wind survival
point of view - and I've always believed that no traps has to be the way to
go to minimise losses. The only modification I'd recommend is to make a
replacement 'hairpin' match coil with heavier duty tubing. I found that
birds/critters would push the thin tubing of the standard coil out of
shape, ruining the match SWR. I rewound with 8mm Cu tube ('microbore
heating tube' in Europe) and had no further trouble.

73
Dave
WJ6O
G3WGN

* 12-Jan-2001 David Aslin
11-Jan-2001 ALAN KAUL
This Author (Jan-2001)
  Subject   Date
* Salty Dog - 2 x 2 80 M Antenna tests 12-Jan-2001