Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR Balun ...
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 14-Jan-2001 13:43:47
At 08:55 AM 1/14/01 -0800, John Petrich wrote:
>Ken,
>
> Pleasure to meet you and to receive your factual input on the actual
>construction of the Force-12 balun series. Are you active and maybe we can
>QSO sometime.
>
> Was wondering what the source of your information about the construction
>of the Force-12 baluns.? And what theories do you hold regarding the
>application of baluns to the antenna questions that have been posted?
>
> I do wonder what your theories are about the application of the coiled
>coax, or "Badger" balun, to multiband antennas? I believe that these higher
>Q baluns may have entirely adequate common mode impedance to decouple
>feedlines from antennas with low feed point impedances throughout the entire
>HF range of bands.. However, the wholesale application of these coiled
>baluns to all antenna applications could be a mistake. Yes, these pieces of
>transmission lines won't overheat or show visible thermal stress. But, they
>may not function as effective baluns on all bands due to their higher Q and
>limited bandwidth compared to the low Q bead balun.

John et al -- if you refer to the Towertalk archive on contesting.com you
will find a very interesting discussion of the impedance exhibited by
various forms of coiled coax chokes, supported by careful measurements with
professional equipment. As I recall, a key conclusion is that simply
bundling the coax significantly reduces the impedance, but that a single
layer solenoid-type winding can produce quite adequate performance if
enough turns are used.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database