Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR Balun ...
Author: Frank C. Travanty <w9jcc@juno.com>
Date: 14-Jan-2001 19:49:41
I have been reading the comments on baluns with great interest.

I am using a C-31XR & WARC 2/2, both fed with F12 B1 baluns. The system
uses a single 50 ohm feed (~120 ft) with a DowKey six position remote
switch (I KW AM rated to 500MHz) at the top of the tower to select the
antennas. The switch was tested for SWR & loss into a 50 ohm resistive
load, with a Bird, prior to installation and SWR & losses were
negligible. I have a straight line run of about 40 feet of coax in the
basement before the feed exits the house. If I put a ~200W CW carrier
on, and walk along the coax with a wave meter ~ an inch from the coax on
10M or one foot from the coax on 15M, it will "peg" the meter every
several paces on 10M & essentially be constant on 15M indicating to me
that, I have not choked off the RF as desired. I was beginning to
question the remote switch, but have no rational to do so. Anybody out
there had a similar experience or ideas? Is there a quantitative test out
there to determine the effectiveness of the balun by examining the
feedline? What is considered "good enough"?
The field strength meter is an old Monarch FSI-2 which uses a 100 uA
movement and a simple LC ckt followed by a diode rect. & 10 inch antenna.

Frank
W9JCC

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:39:13 -0800 "John Petrich"
<petrich@u.washington.edu> writes:
> Pete,
>
> Absolutely, I agree 100%. Your logic is exactly the reason why
> believe that ferrite based low Q broad band baluns are THE way to go
> in the
> majority of high performance expectation antenna environments. I
> feel
> sorry for some of my friends who continue to live with significant
> common
> mode current related problems with their antennas because their
> belief
> systems are subjective and not data driven. Enough soapbox.
>
> Wish I lived at your latitude and could hear all the DX that I
> hear you
> guys working these days. Have a nice weekend.
>
> Regards,
>
> John Petrich, W7HQJ

16-Jan-2001 Dave D'Epagnier
16-Jan-2001 Pete Smith