Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR Balun ...
Author: Barry Kirkwood <bjk@ihug.co.nz>
Date: 15-Jan-2001 12:56:41
I would agree that it might well be possible to connect coax directly to the
centre of a dipole and get good results.
On the other hand one could also end up with "antenna effects" where the
feedline itself becomes a radiator (see any antenna manual).
At best a balun should eliminate this problem in the majority of situations.
A balun can make things worse, especially if it is a bit reactive.
A while back I innocently installed a ?W2AU balun on a Force 12 3C-S and had
problems with SWR on 10m. Simple coax coil balun solved the problem.
Presumably F12 antennas have been checked out with F12 baluns by the
manufacturer...
73
end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD