Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR Balun ...
Author: John Petrich <petrich@u.washington.edu>
Date: 15-Jan-2001 18:33:10
Natan, Barry, Roy and the rest of the gang,

I have been following the balun discussion with great interest, but at a
distance. I can see how easily misunderstandings and frustration can evolve
if people don't communicate especially carefully. Basically, everyone is
correct from the perspective of their frame of reference.

Natan took the correct position that most antennas are designed to
function with an equal impedance balance to ground at both feedpoints of the
driven dipole. This equal impedance balance is insured by using a modern
high impedance balun at the feedpoint. Natan is incorrect to imply that not
using a balun guarentees a deterioration in antenna function. Any deviation
from the balun specification DOES open the big "maybe" of improper antenna
function. Barry's frame of reference is that of an antenna manufacturer who
has the responsibility to deliver product that functions as designed.

Roy is correct, for some installations, by a miracle of a combination
of feedline dress and feedline length, it is possible to get a fine, equal,
impedance balance to ground at both sides of the feed point without a balun,
at least over a limited bandwidth. Roy is also correct that amateurs should
be encouraged to experiment. A big problem with his argument is that an
"experiment" must be conducted and the data evaluated. Most hams don't
actually "experiment". They just do something based on a belief system and
leave it at that. They view their antenna's function through the unreliable
lens of their expectations. "Anything works". A proper "experiment" in
some people's eyes is a subjective assessment of some antenna performance
parameter. For other's, a proper "experiment" is an objective collection of
comparative data. It's your choice. Roy's frame of referrence is that of
an independent individual who's experience and individual circumstance has
been that baluns aren't necessary for his antenna expectations to be met.

The question of common mode currents and balun function has no relation
to feedline SWR per se. The proper relationship to consider in designing
for a balun application is the ratio of the feedpoint impedance to the
common mode impedance of the balun (or the miraculous feedline
installation). A high SWR may indicate a high feedpoint impedance, (or a
low feedpoint impedance) but consideration of SWR is irrelevant to the
theoretical discussion. High SWR can cause failure in real world balun from
high voltages and currents but failure modes is not what this discussion is
about.

The point is: BALUNS ARE NOT NECESSARY. EQUAL IMPEDANCE TO GROUND AT
THE FEEDPOINT OF ANTENNAS DESIGNED FOR EQUAL IMPEDANCE TO GROUND AT THE
FEEDPOINT, IS NECESSARY. If a balun helps me get there in the quickest,
safest, most consistent manner, I'll take the balun, everytime.

Barry brings up the other point that people don't talk enough about:
"antenna currents"-their origin and impact on antenna function. I believe
that we sometimes make the mistake of thinking and talking only about feed
point baluns (and the occasional miracles of feedline dress and length) as
the sole determiner of whether a system will demonstrate common mode
currents on the feedline or not. This is a narrow view. I agree with
Barry, antenna currents can be a source of significant common mode currents
on the feedline AND on the rotator and antenna switch control lines, as
well. Antenna currents (common mode currents) on feed and control lines are
almost universal when ever the feed and control lines make a significant
horizontal run anywhere in the vicinity of the near field of the antenna.
"Everything couples to everything". I treat feed and control lines the
same. I attempt to decouple them from the antenna by careful line dress and
by RF chokes. I have installed one set of ferrite RF chokes (baluns) at the
top of the tower on both the feed and control lines, another set of RF
chokes (baluns) at the tower base where both lines begin a horizontal run,
and another set of RF chokes (baluns) at the point where both lines enter
the shack.

I'm certainly interested in further amplification on the topic and
criticism of the theories.

Regards,
John Petrich, W7HQJ

16-Jan-2001 Dave D'Epagnier