Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR Balun ...
Author: Dave D'Epagnier <DAVED@ctilidar.com>
Date: 16-Jan-2001 09:16:05
Hi guys, I've also been watching this from a distance and have a few quick
comments. There seems to be some confusion about the need for baluns
depending on antenna SWR. The two have nothing to do with each other. The
need for a balun comes about because of current flowing on the outside of
the unbalanced line (coax shield) due to antenna and feed line asymmetry.
The antenna and feedline system could have very high SWR and still be
symmetrical and have no need for and benefit from a balun (other than if it
is an impedance transformation type). This is usually not the case since it
is difficult to have a perfectly symmetrical system in practice. Likewise,
the antenna and feedline system could have no standing waves (SWR=1) and
could benefit from a balun because of system asymmetry. Slight asymmetries
can be achieved in practice and to my understanding, not cause much harm to
the antenna pattern. I know Jim Lindsay (W7ZQ), a former EE professor at
University of Colorado and avid experimenter and developer of the quad
antenna ran some experiments for the us government many years ago with scale
models of 20m quads at UHF. He and his colleagues found no detectable
pattern degradation without a balun and no inherent need for a for one due
to the antenna and symmetric feedline alone. To this day, I believe that he
doesn't use baluns on his giant quads up on 180' towers in Wyoming. On the
other hand, most hams don't have antennas that are so high and in the clear.
A problem that can manifest itself even more easily than pattern degradation
is that of RFI caused by minute amounts of current flowing on the coax
braid. I had a brief discussion with LB Cebik about this regarding the need
for a balun on my new homebrewed 6m beam. I hope he doesn't mind me
rehashing this. Here's part of what he said:

(LB)
"The level of common mode currents for a reasonably balanced antenna
assembly
is rarely sufficient to make a pattern difference. However, it only takes
some microvolts at the station end to create problems with rigs, SWR
indications, etc. Blocking them somewhere along the line--as close as
feasible to the antenna and perhaps at the shack entry to catch any
developed by direct radiation interception by the line--is thus the main
point of the exercise. You certainly can install beads on the parallel 1/4
wl section if you wish, but that tends to make it bulky.

The existence of the outer braid path does not mean that current will take
it. It has to "rival" the impedance of the antenna element in parallel to
be an effective path for the standing antenna currents. However, even
ineffective paths bring wenough current to the shack end of the line for
trouble. I also have a plate attached near the top of the tower with a
bulkhead connector. The coax to the shack and the coax to the antenna meet
there, with the tower leg as a ground for the braid exterior. This also
helps, since the tower is reasonably well grounded."
(end LB)

So, I decided to use rf current chokes at several places along the line
anyway to keep things tidy.

73
Dave
K0QE