Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR Balun ...
Author: AD6E@aol.com <AD6E@aol.com>
Date: 16-Jan-2001 14:28:22
Dave is correct on several points .. especially the last one.

My earlier comment regarding SWR was a red herring. There is an SWR effect,
but its minor and it isn't the real issue. Sorry for the mis-lead.

The original question was how badly does an antenna deteriorate if there is
no balun. So far there's been lots of religous talk, but not much that would
help answer the question.

I spent some time last night re-reading the N6BV text and examples of pattern
skewing due to no balun. I wanted to find a way to calculate the real effect
of no-balun use, but couldn't figure out a way to model it. Dean has a couple
of explicit examples in the Antenna Book, but he doesn't say how the modeling
works. It finally dawned on me that a coax is nothing more than an ideal,
balanced transmission line in parallel with a single wire (the outside of the
coax). To model the effect, simply use an ideal voltage source at the feed
point and hang an extra conductor a couple inches off center of the driven
element. Sure enough, using NEC, this matches very well with Deans' examples.

Now I have a tool to calculate the real effect of no-balun. Amazingly, the
effect on pattern is quite small for a "normal" installation. If you drop a
coax down from any antenna, the effect on the main lobe is only a small
fraction of a dB. I tried several variations, and the worst was only a 0.5dB
loss of main lobe power. This power was re-radiated from the coax and could
fill in some of the antenna nulls. Nulls can also be enhanced if the coax
happens to radiate out of phase with whats' comming off the antenna. What
makes this "problem" so minor is that coax normally comes off the antenna
orthogonal to the driven element. If you route the coax in parallel with the
driven element and only a few feet away, then all bets are off and that could
be a serious problem ... but who would do that anyway?

This seems to validate my experiences (and other guys experiences reported
here) that the lack of a balun isn't a disaster. Things still work pretty
well without one. Would I put up an antenna without a balun? No, but if I'm
on an expedition and forgot to bring one I wouldn't let that stop me from
getting on the air. If your balun blows up, just bypass it until you can get
a replacement.

On a related topic, its always good to keep RF out of the shack. A balun
certainly helps that, as does sprinkling ferrite beads randomly along the
coax as Dave suggests, to knock down RF currents induced by antenna radiation.

73, Al AD6E

In a message dated 1/16/2001 7:15:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
DAVED@ctilidar.com writes:

<< ..... stuff deleted .....
So, I decided to use rf current chokes at several places along the line
anyway to keep things tidy.

73
Dave
K0QE