Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C3-E tuning questions
Author: Mitchell Carson <Mitchell.Carson@dalsemi.com>
Date: 22-Jan-2001 13:15:26
I have a C3-E that I installed about 6 months ago. WOW! What a fantastic antenna!

I need to do some minor tuning on it though. When I first assembled it, I mounted it against the side of the tower (at about 20') to check resonance (with a known good 100' length of RG-213). 10m was a wee bit low, so I adjusted 10m up a notch using guidance from the manual. 15 & 20m were fine. Once I had the antenna in place (at 45'), I found that 10m resonance was a bit too high, and 15m resonance was a bit too low. 20m is right on the money.

In the near future, I'm planning to retune my C3-E. The cautious side of me tells me to tune it one band at a time. The idea is to pivot the antenna on that slick boom-to-mast mount, remove the appropriate element for adjustment, adjust the element, then reassemble and check resonance before proceeding to the next band adjustment.

I realize that there is some interaction between the elements. I'm inclined to tune the lowest band first (15m), but there again, 15m might be off as a result of previously tuning 10m. I'd rather not waste those special rivets, so I thought it would be worthwhile to run this past the experts first.

Question: In your opinion, should I tune 15m first then tackle 10m? Or should I tune 10m first then tackle 15m?

73 es TNX,
-Mitchell / W5MEC

22-Jan-2001 Dale L Martin
22-Jan-2001 Richard Thorne