Index Thread Archive Jan-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jan-2001Index by Author for Jan-2001Index by Date for Jan-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: antenna interaction question
Author: David Curtis B <david.b.curtis@intel.com>
Date: 23-Jan-2001 11:08:20
Hi Andy,
Warning: Theoretical discussion without experimental validation follows.
YMMV.
1. See http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek/stacking/stack1.htm for an
interesting discussion of stacking Yagi's; mostly VHF/UHF oriented, but
applicable.
2. A few months ago I spent some serious time with YT (Dean Straw's Yagi
Terrain, included with ARRL Antenna Book) looking at antenna heights
illuminating sloping forground, which I assume is your situation out where
you live. Higher isn't always better (according to the computer model). Or
at least enough better to justify lots of work & $$. And it is certainly
true that there are sweet spots and poor spots when you have sloping
foreground. If your terrain slopes downward nicely to the NE, you might
find that 45 or so feet is a great spot for a fixed 2nd radio tribander.
You might do some quick analysis with YT... the price is certainly right.

73, Dave N6NZ

(Looking forward to doing some experimental validation this summer :-)