Index Thread Archive Feb-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Feb-2001Index by Author for Feb-2001Index by Date for Feb-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Super quick service
Author: Andrew Williamson <andrew@gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: 26-Feb-2001 15:39:18

Reflectorees,

Surprise surprise, yet another story of rivets failing on Force12
antennas. I've included a couple of quotes from Tom N6BT from July last
year which make interesting reading. It looks like this isn't as rare a
situation as Tom claims (I have only seen three F12 antennas close up
that have been installed for more than a year and ALL have had the rivet
problem).

These comments from Tom are regarding a Magnum 340 which is installed at
GI0KOW, which is unusable YET AGAIN due to YET MORE failures (and the
factory appear to have completely forgotten what customer support is
regarding this antenna). Maybe it's time Tom started to collate the
growing list of problem antennas and figure out what is really happening
instead of giving the 'I haven't heard of that before' response.....

Caveat emptor....

'Your experiences with all the rivets failing and the antenna "falling
apart" is so bizarre that it is hard to believe.'

'Since the occasion of element rivets coming loose is such a rare
situation, there is almost no data to ascertain the reason.'

In message <E14XSqW-0008KU-00.2001-02-26-18-58-19@mail8.svr.pol.co.uk>,
Arsaell Oskarsson <aosk@isl.is> writes
>I have to comment on a super quick service I got from the Force12 company,
>last Friday.
>The 20m reflector on our beam (TF3IRA) got loose on the boom, and from the
>manual we couldn't see how it was fastened. As we planned to get help from
>the Fire Dept. at Friday afternoon and we Icelanders are always at the last
>minute, I sent an e-mail to the company at 1300 UTC =local on Friday and at
>1410 I got the reply with a picture and it helped a lot.
>What actually happened is that the rivets had turned loose and we replaced
>them with bolts as we had to do previously with the elements, but used
>hoseclamps there. With our strong winds here the rivets are far to be good
>and next summer we have to take the beam down and change all rivets with
>bolts.
>CU in the ARRL DX contest the coming weekend.
>
>73's de TF3AO Seli (one of the TF3IRA gang)
>

>-----------
>
>Arsaell "Seli" Oskarsson,
>Laekjasmara 78,
>IS-200 Kopavogur,