Index Thread Archive Mar-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2001Index by Author for Mar-2001Index by Date for Mar-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Good rivet and mount performance during hurricane winds on my
Author: James W. Fisher, Jr. <74237.2073@compuserve.com>
Date: 01-Mar-2001 07:30:30
Several concerns about F12s holding together, particularly with big
antennas, have appeared on this reflector. Others may have had problems,
and I can only speak for myself, but I must say THE RIVETS ON MY F12s ARE
ONE OF THE REASONS I KEEP BUYING THEM (presently own over 50 elements). I
have occasionally had one problem or another with their antennas, but F12
has taken them seriously and provided fixes for me and upgraded future
production. If and when I buy more, I certainly expect them to be F12, I
have every confidence they will go together with perfect hole fits, I will
use the rivets or other fasteners they supply, and I expect them to stay
up.

Case in point: my most exposed F12, the world's first production C51XR/H,
was up for about a year including hurricane-force winds and ice storms.
Element-boom rivets, boom-mast cradle (special order, uses bolts), and
element rivets showed no problem when I brought it down for inspection and
for conversion to C51XRN. The antenna was up over 100' from the ground and
over 300' above salt water to the horizon. A neighbor's rooftop anemometer
in a much less exposed location recorded 105mph in one of these storms, and
we often have days on end with gale-force winds. 70mph counts as a
relatively calm day here (hi--actually we consider it sorta windy!).

73,

Jim, VE1JF

* 01-Mar-2001 James W. Fisher, Jr.
This Author (Mar-2001)
  Subject   Date
* Good rivet and mount performance during hurricane winds on my 01-Mar-2001