Index Thread Archive Mar-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2001Index by Author for Mar-2001Index by Date for Mar-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-4SXL
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 07-Mar-2001 11:30:58
At 05:02 AM 3/8/01 +1300, Barry Kirkwood wrote:

>end
>Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
>Signal Hill Homestay
>66 Cory Road
>Palm Beach
>Waiheke Island 1240
>NEW ZEALAND
>www.waiheke.co.nz/signal.htm

As I recall, the hairpin on the driven element had to be spread quite far
apart to achieve lowest SWR. you really should be able to do better than
1.4. How is the bandwidth between 2:1 SWR points? I would try for a
center frequency closer to 7070 kHz, by moving the shorting bars out just
an inch or two each.

The C-3 part is specced with 100 ft of coax, which broadens the SWR
bandwidth slightly. Your 15m curve seems to peak high, particularly, but I
wouldn't worry unless the SWR is above 2:1 at the lower band edge.

Oops, I just noticed something -- I don't think you can trust these
measurements. The tower is too close. Can you get it up on the top-center
bolt on the mount, and then pivot it to a horizontal position? Maybe keep
a tether a little way out on the boom so you can tilt it back down to reach
if needed?

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at
http://www.qsl.net/n4zr

* 07-Mar-2001 Pete Smith
07-Mar-2001 Barry Kirkwood
This Author (Mar-2001)
  Subject   Date
* C-4SXL 07-Mar-2001
C3SS pictures? 21-Mar-2001
C4SXL 04-Mar-2001
EF-420/240 04-Mar-2001
EF240S and C3 spacing? 16-Mar-2001
Rivets 01-Mar-2001
Rivets 01-Mar-2001
Rope or not.... K7LXC's query 27-Mar-2001