Index Thread Archive Mar-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2001Index by Author for Mar-2001Index by Date for Mar-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Magnum 620/340 tuning on 40 meters
Author: Dick Dievendorff <dieven@telocity.com>
Date: 23-Mar-2001 01:04:24
As the weather starts to dry up in the Pacific Northwest I'm beginning to think about finally tuning my 40 meter antenna so that it
doesn't always need an antenna tuner.

I have the necessary devices to determine resonant frequencies of various elements.

The antenna normally sits at about 90', pretty close to three other antennas on the same mast.

When I crank the tower down to where I can reach the antennas, I'm standing on top of a two-story house with the antenna sort of
drooping over about half the roof. I know the frequency will change as I get closer to the ground/house.

What's the current "best practice" for tuning the antenna? I'm primarily interested in CW, and my ideal tuning would have about
1.5:1 SWR at 7 MHz, and the areas of interest to CW contesters within the range of my rather touchy amplifier (an Alpha 87A) without
fiddling with an antenna tuner. For phone contests I plan on using an ATU.

My manual does have a procedure, but it seems somewhat ambiguous. I have a very, very early model of the Magnum 620/340.

By the way, it's a super antenna on 20. But on 40 I don't think I'm getting the best I can out of 3 elements. But frankly I'm not
sure my expectations are realistic. It's SO good on 20 that 40 seems kinda bland.

Help appreciated...

Dick, K6KR
K6KR@arrl.net

* 23-Mar-2001 Dick Dievendorff
This Author (Mar-2001)
  Subject   Date
* Magnum 620/340 tuning on 40 meters 23-Mar-2001