Index Thread Archive Mar-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2001Index by Author for Mar-2001Index by Date for Mar-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C4XL vs C4SXL
Author: BOB \ AK6R\ <callbob@home.com>
Date: 25-Mar-2001 16:53:59
I have the C4SXL and I like it but it has its limitations, mainly the two
elements on 15 and 20. The 2 element on 40 works great - but 125 khz at 2:1
ratio is true. I am selling mine because I need more gain and f/b on 15 and
20. I also have the C3E, C4E, C31XR and 240X (250 hz easy at 2:1).

Now if you want a 4 band antenna (10,15,20 & 40) which is great in domestic
contests and general use, then the C4SXL is fine - slighly smaller footprint
the XL version and tunable to all of 40 meter band with antenna tuner.
But...

if you intent to use it for heavy duty dx or contesting, it runs out of gas
on 15 and 20 compared to a 3 element beam. I would take the C19XR and the 2
element 40 over the C4SXL combo but it is more expensive. Actually I have
gotton around the limitations of the C4SXL by using a C3E at 38' and the
C4SXL at 66 feet and feeding them with a stackmatch. Much better gain over
variety of incoming angles and better gain with the use of 40 meters.
Easier to handle than C31XR and 240X (I use the C4SXL and C3E on my tower
trailer all the time for portable operation - see www.qsl.net/ak6r).

So answer depends on what you want it for - casual operation one boom
antenna for 4 bands and use tuner for other end of 40 - get the C4SXL.
Competetive antanna - get the C19XR and put up a simple wire beam for 40
pointed in your favorite direction.

Bob, AK6R