Index Thread Archive Mar-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2001Index by Author for Mar-2001Index by Date for Mar-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Element water intrusion
Author: K7LXC@aol.com <K7LXC@aol.com>
Date: 28-Mar-2001 08:30:33
In a message dated 3/27/01 10:07:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, list@qth.com
writes:

> Not knowing how the
> water was getting in I decided to wrap each join and the rivets with Scotch
> 33.

The water gets in as water vapor that'll penetrate just about anything.
The water vapor is much smaller than rain drops since it's carried in the
air. The water vapor gets in, condenses and builds up. Now the water is too
big to get out if the area is 'sealed' so it sits there. Trying to prevent
water vapor intrusion in F12 booms and elements is useless so I wouldn't
worry about wrapping the joints with electrical tape. Besides, it drains
right out so why bother.

Cheers, Steve K7LXC
Tower Tech

* 28-Mar-2001 K7LXC@aol.com