Index Thread Archive Apr-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2001Index by Author for Apr-2001Index by Date for Apr-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Antenna problem
Author: K7LXC@aol.com <K7LXC@aol.com>
Date: 12-Apr-2001 09:55:35
In a message dated 4/11/01 9:58:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, list@qth.com
writes:

> A few weeks ago, I posted a problem I was having with my Dxer, and or it's
> coax. The problem was that when the antenna was rotated, there was an
> intermitent loss of signal and the SWR would rise. This indicated a bad
> coax, balun, or loose balun lead connection to the driven element.
>
> Replacing the LMR400 coax on both 20 and 15/17 meters with flexable Milspec
> 214 solved the problem on the 20 meters but, the problem on 17/15 meters
> is worse than it was before. The 15/17 meter antenna sounds dead at times
> untill I apply power... then the receiver comes alive for a while as if RF
> arcing somehow bridged the gap of a loose connection. The loss of signal is
> still happening when the antenna is rotated or strong winds are moving the
> elements about. The boom and elements are tight and the antenna is on the
> tower about 2 years.
>
> The only thing left to check would be the balun, balun connections and
> possibly the bolts and nuts that hold the balun leads to the dirven
element.
> I should mention that after I tightened the nuts that hold the balun leads
> to the driven elements, I sprayed them with Rustoleum. I don't think this
> would cause a problem since none of the paint is where it shouldn't be, all
> contact points are clean an shinny. The connectors on the new cable were
> installed by Cable Experts.

First, have you checked the antenna at the feedpoint with an antenna
analyzer? This is the first thing you do. Then work your way back through
each component in order to eliminate each item. More times than not an
"antenna problem" I've worked on turned out to be something in the shack -
bad coax switch,bad jumper, etc. Until you can pinpoint the problem, you're
just shooting in the dark.

Next, if you're a member of TowerTalk - the tower and HF antenna
reflector - you've heard of something called the LXC Prime Directive which is
"DO what the manufacturer says". The converse of this is DON'T do what they
don't tell you. Did F12 tell you to spray the antenna with spray paint? No.
Methinks that's the problem and it's self-induced. Testing at the feedpoint
would help to determine that.

Cheers, Steve K7LXC
Tower Tech

* 12-Apr-2001 K7LXC@aol.com
This Author (Apr-2001)
  Subject   Date
* Antenna problem 12-Apr-2001
C4 comments 24-Apr-2001
NoAlOx on PL259 05-Apr-2001
NoAlOx on PL259 - #2 05-Apr-2001
Tuning on 40 meter linear loaded elements? 13-Apr-2001