Index Thread Archive Apr-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2001Index by Author for Apr-2001Index by Date for Apr-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Re-post - C-4e Interaction?
Author: David Jones <djones449@home.com>
Date: 24-Apr-2001 21:13:00
Hi again,
Natan suggested I re-post this subject and make it slightly more concise.
Here I go:

I have a C-4e (with the 40m dipole cut 7.060) at about 52ft.
I have an Inv-V for 80m (cut 3.550) about 6ft beneath it (and a 160 Inv-L at
that same level).
All four antennas switched with an Ameritron RCS-8 (5 feed switchbox).

I notice, and I'm living with, some interaction on the 40m dipole when I
swing it on the rotator. I presume it's the proximity to the 80m Inv-V?
The Swr rises as the element lines up with the dipole and drops off when
perpendicular.

I tried to put up another dipole for 80m ssb (3.790) another 4ft or so below
the first - but, it interacted too much with the existing 80m and the 40m
problem obviously remained.

I tried another 40m Inv-V, cut to 40m ssb (7.225) - but with even more of a
problem with the C-4e.

It's now a 30m dipole at about 36ft on the tower, and not causing a problem
(I can see).

My questions (after all this):
1) Does the setup of the RCS-8 play a role in causing (or hopefully
eliminating) interaction. I believe it comes from the factory with "open"
positions for the unused antennas. Would shorted (grounded) unused antenna
positions cure or minimize the interaction problem?
2) Is there a suggested length of the 40m feed after the switchbox (with
respect to the length of the other C-4e feed length?) to help lower any
interaction and spikes in Swr as it rotates?

Hope that's easier to understand.
Thanks for any input!

David VE3STT
ve3stt@rac.ca

* 24-Apr-2001 David Jones
This Author (Apr-2001)
  Subject   Date
23-Apr-2001
* Re-post - C-4e Interaction? 24-Apr-2001