Index Thread Archive May-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2001Index by Author for May-2001Index by Date for May-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Rivets and C3S
Author: Morris Beale <morris@witty.com>
Date: 16-May-2001 17:09:41
As a newcomer to this reflector, I read with great interest the previous
comments relating to rivetted connections, following an inspection of my
own C3S a few days ago. I had noticed that the 20m reflector element seemed
to be trying to rotate in high winds and needed to be lowered for a close
inspection.

As I suspected, there was a problem with the 20m reflector. On the
attachment holding the element to the boom, several factory - installed
rivets had loosened and one was quite badly chewed out . I decided to
replace these connections with SS bolts and nyloc nuts. Along the 20m
element. several rivets had broken, and in other places they were loose and
had been working. I am going to replace these with larger rivets and am
also thinking about rivetting them on both sides of the element as well.

The 20m driven element has fared much better but one of the
factory-installed rivets is loose and needs to be replaced as do one or
two rivets further out along the element.

I'm not blaming Force 12 for all this, as the antenna has now been up for
nearly 5 years, and it gets a pretty hard life here in the rotor winds
coming over a 3000 ft mountain half a mile away in an easterly. The wind
strength and direction changes constantly and some of the gusts are very
strong. It is quite likely that any beam antenna would have developed
problems in this environment.

However, my advice to any other C3 or C3S owner would be to keep a close
eye on the behaviour of the antenna in high winds and to lower it
for close inspection at regular intervals. I will be lowering mine once a
year from now on.

I also hope that the Force 12 people will be prompted to look into the
design to improve the mechanical performance of the unit under these
conditions.

73 de Morris ZL1ANF
12 Emerson Street,
TE AROHA 2971