Index Thread Archive May-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2001Index by Author for May-2001Index by Date for May-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-31XR and rotators
Author: Jerry W5KP <w5kp@swbell.net>
Date: 28-May-2001 09:13:27
Lots of us in the same confusion boat on Yaesu's sq ft versus K-factors,
Larry. I'm putting up a nice used C3XLD, which has a K-factor of 1790 ft-lb
and a sq ft of only 9.1. Supposedly, the G1000 will take 1663 ft-lb (but is
also shown as 2020 ft-lb at http://www.texastowers.com/kfactor.htm - which
one is correct, I'm not sure yet). The 1000 is rated at 23.7 sq ft, and
although my C3XLD is only 9.1 sq ft, it exceeds the K-factor by 130 ft-lb.
To carry this to the ridiculous, I suppose you could have a 4x6' sheet of
aluminum on the mast and that would be ok, since the turning radius at 2' x
weight at 20# would be a K-factor load of 40 ft lb. Makes you wonder which
engineer has been smoking the wrong stuff in his pipe. It seems silly to
have a 9.1 sq ft antenna on a 23.7 sq ft rotor that exceeds the rotor's
specs, especially since 33' is not that big a boom these days. Maybe Yaesu's
engineers were thinking of a stack of 4 or 5 TA-33's when they dreamed up
the 23 sq ft rating. :-)

I see your C31XR is a 1951 ft-lb K-factor, which when you add the other two
beams will be too much for the 1000 in any case. Sadly, the next notch up in
rotors at Yaesu is the 2800, which is rated a gross overkill 6,870 ft lb
K-factor and costs $1100 vs. about $500 for the 1000. Clearly what the world
needs is a rotor rated for about a 3,000 ft-lb K-factor, at about $750 or
so. I'm going with the 1000 (mainly because I happen to have a new one in
hand), and will rethink my position if I ever decide to add another antenna
to the mix, or if the C3XLD wrecks the rotor, which I don't think will
happen. I have sworn off Hy-Gain for several reasons, so don't much care
what they offer at this point.
73, Jerry W5KP