Index Thread Archive Jul-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2001Index by Author for Jul-2001Index by Date for Jul-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Stacking beams
Author: Ken Eigsti <diverken@chaffee.net>
Date: 11-Jul-2001 17:49:11
Hi,

Thought I would follow up with results with C3E stacked above a Ele KLM 40
meter beam as several of you were interested..

If you remember, I first posted wondering if C3E initial SWR measurements
on the SAW HORSE were to be worrisome..I had nominal SWR on 10 and 20 but
high on 15. (5:1)
50% of the responses said just make sure dimensions are correct and put it
up, and 50% said point vertical or get it up in the air. I didn't have the
ability to get it up in the air (trees all around tower) so just went up
with the rechecked measurements. (which were correct)

Here are the results:

Plan was to put C3E on top of a KLM 2 ele 40 mtr beam, with spacing to be
10 feet. At 95' on top of the 40 @ 85', again the 10 and 20 were 1.2 to 1.5
as advertised but the 15 meter portion was still high, 3:1 at CW end and
lowest was 2.2:1 on 21.300. ALSO the signal reports from DX on the C3E at
95' were 2-3 S units less than a C3E that was at 50' fixed on EU on the
same tower, consistantly.

Solution:

I rotated the 40 meter beam 90 degrees and the SWR on 15 dropped from 3:1
on CW to 1.5 and 2.2:1 to 1.3 on SSB. Also, the gain appeared to come back
with equal or better signal reports with DX Vs. the C3E at 50 feet. I have
noticed the propagation plays a huge role in the signal reports, but the
SWR improved greatly, and a majority of the time the top C3E is
stronger..especailly at opening and clsoing of bands, which is the "way it
is suppose to be".

Moral of the story:

Even though 10 feet would seem to be enough spacing (KLM 40 mtr beam and
C3E) by rotating the antennas 90 deg. appears to have made all the
difference in the world, with both SWR on 15 and gain.. All this time 40
appeared to not be affected with either gain or SWR..this from signal
reports and measured SWR. Rotating did not affect 10 or 20.

If you have a similar antenna system, you might want to plan on rotating
the antennas 90 deg to each other..

73,
Ken W0LSD

12-Jul-2001 Ken Eigsti