Index Thread Archive Jul-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2001Index by Author for Jul-2001Index by Date for Jul-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Stacking beams
Author: Ken Eigsti <diverken@chaffee.net>
Date: 12-Jul-2001 10:53:52
GM Les,
You are right, in some respects it is a real crap shoot and gamble. I have
a C36XR here at home and so far it has been very reliable, both
electrically and mechanically.

By the way I have a C3E mounted at 50' with a home made mount. THe tower is
some sort of commercial one that I built piece by piece. It is 36" on a
side..so it does not allow much turning, but the lower C3E will go from 275
deg to 30, which covers JA and EU nicely..That ant. replaced an old
A4s..interestingly when I first listened to the C3E it was so quiet I
thought it was not working..but it really plays at 50'. I compare it with a
T-8 log on another tower at 50'. But no comparison with the A4s, much
superior IMO.

I look at the way the C3E is put together and then the KLM 2 ele 40, and it
seemed reasonable the C3E would have less problems,and the 11 feet
difference in height,I didn't think would be that significant. The 40 is
servicable where it is and the C3E would be a problem, either getting the
crane again or taking out rotor etc and lowering. I had such great luck
with the crane in not bending and busting up elements,I think I wouuld do
that again. It cost $270 for the crane and I thought safety wise and
antenna wise, that was a good investment in time and money.

Good luck and hope to see you in a contest.. I don't operate from that qth
as much as here at home, but a few times a year get to the cabin to do a
contest.
Will look for you..

73 Ken

At 11:20 AM 7/12/01 -0400, you wrote:
>It sounds like you really did your homework. I guess I was fortunate
enough to
>purchase a mast that was 1 foot longer (21 feet) but that's a story, I
mean ordeal
>for another conversation. The 40m beam mods turned out very well, I'm
very happy
>the way things worked out. While the mods did add about 10 lbs to the
antenna at
>least most of the element droop is now gone. I have had the antenna up
for about
>two years now with no real problems, its really appears robust. Here in New
>England we can get some nasty ice storms so it was important when I first
decided
>to put up a large antenna like this that I do everything possible to
ensure its
>survivability, hence the mods. With the "interesting" feed system on the
C19XR I
>wanted to make sure I had easy access to it in just in case I needed to
service
>it. So as you know it really is a crap shoot with the type of stacking
>arrangement that we both have. Anyway you look at it one antenna is very
>difficult to service.
>
>The only other beam on the tower right now is a 10-4CD at 30 feet (fixed
EU). I
>am in the process though of installing a 15-3CD at 55 feet (fixed at EU)
and a
> [...]
meet in
>one of the DX contests or a pileup sometime.
>
>73,
>
>Les
>

>Ken Eigsti wrote:
>
>> GM Les,
>> RE: Stacking 40 and C3E...
>>
>> Thanks for the reply..
>>
>> I guess my main reasoning for putting the tribander on top was because my
>> rotor plate is about 9 feet down in the tower (commercial type tower with
>> no adjustment of rotor plate at this point in time). The mast was 20 feet
>> which left approx. 11' above the tower. I wanted to get 12 feet separation
>> but couldn't. I figured if the 40 were on top and with the "droop" in the
>> 40 meter elements this would effectively shorten the distance between the 2
>> antennas..In my mind the interaction would be a bigger factor than the
>> extra 11 feet for the 40 mtr beam..The 40 has been at this height (85') for
>> several years and has played very well. It is located at 9,000' above sea
>> level and the land slopes at about a 12% grade to the north/northeast.
>>
>> Also, I have had problems with loose hardware/connections etc. with the 40
>> mtr beam and have had to take it down in the past..(1 element at a time).
>> My gamble was that the Force 12 will be more reliable and will require less
>> maintenance..
>> If the C3E at 95' goes south I have a log periodic (T-8) at 50' and a C3E
>> at 50'. If the 40 goes south there is no back up. Due to the location in
>> the trees and in the mountains of Colorado, a crane isn't always accessible
>> for repair. This played somewhat into my thinking too.
>>
>> In September W0DC and W0BV and myself will give it a real workout with CQWW
>> RTTY. This location is not actually my home qth, but a rental cabin that I
>> rent to hams..soon to have a website going with info on the rental etc.
>>
>> Those were the factors that played into my reasoning..right or wrong.. HI.
>>
>> 73 Ken W0LSD
>>
>> At 09:00 AM 7/12/01 -0400, you wrote:
>> >I found your report on your stacking of a C3E and 40m beam very
>> interesting. I
>> >have a C19XR at 80 feet with a modified (W6QHS) Cushcraft 40-2CD 12 feet
>> above
>> >it. both antennas play extremely well and the SWR on each is as
advertised.
>> >Prior to installation I did a lot of research and found 12 feet to be the
>> >minimum stacking distance in order to avoid interaction. Many people
>> >recommended that if a 12 foot separation wasn't practical to turn one
antenna
>> >90 degrees.
>> >
>> >I'm a little curious why you decided to stack the 40m beam under the C3E
>> rather
>> >then above it. It would seem to me that you would want to elevate your
>> lowest
>> >frequency beam as high as possible.
>> >
>> >If you want to take a look at my array check it out on my webpage at

KLM 40

C3E at

>> >Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\les.peters.vcf"

>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\les.peters1.vcf"

12-Jul-2001 Ken Eigsti
* 12-Jul-2001 Ken Eigsti
12-Jul-2001 bob.marzari@ezonline.com
12-Jul-2001 Ken Eigsti