Index Thread Archive Jul-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2001Index by Author for Jul-2001Index by Date for Jul-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Stacking beams
Author: Ken Eigsti <diverken@chaffee.net>
Date: 12-Jul-2001 18:28:27
Hi,
I took down the A4s ( about 20 years old) as I had a lot of trouble keeping
the elements straight.. they would get cockeyed constantly in the wind. You
can see from the U bolt assembly they can come loose. I didn't want to
tighten too tight to indent the boom. I really got tired of realigning
elements.
If your A4s is in good conditon and it is easy to get to and maintain, you
might give it a try on your crankup.
Also, I think a trap was going bad as the SWR on 15 was 3:1 all over..
When it was working it was a good antenna..

If you have put together a Force 12 you know that you are not going to have
the element turn on the boom. Mechanically there is no comparison IMO,
especially with the element to boom mounts.

Also,I like the "trapless" aspect of the Force 12 Vs the A4s. I'm 56 and
really wanting to climb less and less and looking for antennas with less
"things" to go wrong.

73 Ken
W0LSD

At 12:43 PM 7/12/01 -0700, you wrote:

>>That ant. replaced an old A4s..interestingly when I first listened to the
>C3E it was so quiet I
> >thought it was not working..but it really plays at 50'. I compare it with
>a T-8 log on another
> >tower at 50'. But no comparison with the A4s, much superior IMO.
>
>I will appreciate your advice on the A4s. I recently purchased a used
>crankup and an A4s
>was "thrown in". It is disassembled and I am trying to decide whether to
>put it together or
>to purchase something else.
>
>Thanks
>k7puc