Index Thread Archive Aug-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2001Index by Author for Aug-2001Index by Date for Aug-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Rivet hole alignment problems
Author: Frank Norton KB8XU <franknorton@home.com>
Date: 05-Aug-2001 00:12:47
I had the same problem with a C4E/one 40 meter element. It was so bad I
had to return it. Natan tried to help by email but the antenna parts
simply did not fit.

For every ones info: F12 no longer assembles and tests each antenna as
they advertise (and used to do). I found this out directly from a F12
employee who was very helpful in telling me how I might get the antenna to
work. With his help I was able to get 20 and 40 meters working. Once Tom
realized I was speaking with this employee, I was never put thru to the
employee again. Tom took some calls when I called every day, several times
a day to catch him when he was in (he is a very busy man I guess). It was
Tom and I who finally reached an agreement for me to exchange
antennas. But I was off the air as far as yagis go, for 2 full months.

Instead of making and testing each antenna F12 now makes parts. They put
them together in a box and ship it to you (an antenna kit so to
speak). They sample each batch by putting together one or?more for
testing. According to F12 this change was needed for a very simple
reason--demand could not be met the old way. THE QUALITY WAY we had all
come to expect!

In my opinion, we will all be reading a lot more posts like this over the
coming months. If Force 12 can't figure out a better way to meet their
demand, I won't be paying premium prices. I sure hope they figure out that
we all want quality, and we expect it from each antenna we buy. If they
sacrifice quality for quantity we may all be making our own antenna kits!

As an owner of several F12 antennas, I sure hope they get it right.

73,

Frank, KB8XU

At 10:53 PM 8/4/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I just started assembling a new C-4SXL, and I'm not seeing what I expected.
>
>I did a "dry-run" assembly of element #1, the 20M reflector--not one rivet
>has been pulled yet. Starting with the tip and trying to line up the holes
>with the next tube inboard, I can only get one hole of three to line up
>sufficiently to accept a rivet; only one of the other two holes is close,
>but I can see that it is not quite lined up, and would require drilling.
>
>Ok, onto the next piece of tubing in the sequence to see if the problem
>recurs; there I am able to line up 2 holes. This continues on the A and B
>sides for the 20M reflector--at most, I can line up two holes, but around
>30% of the time, can only line up one without further drilling.
> >snip<
>The instructions say to put rivets into ALL rivet holes--there is not one
>instance on the A or B side of the 20M reflector where I can do
>this--always, one of the three holes is not aligned. This also is visually
>obvious when one holds the pieces that go together next to each other; the
>holes just don't all align. When they say "all," are they expecting only two
>usable holes?
>
>I haven't tried the other elements yet. Frankly, I was sufficiently stunned
> >snipitty-do-dah<
>Suddenly my TH7 doesn't look so bad any more....
>
>Any ideas? Thanks! 73, K9IR

05-Aug-2001 WA9ALS - John
05-Aug-2001 N8WRL Brian
05-Aug-2001 Pete Smith
05-Aug-2001 Frank Norton KB8XU
05-Aug-2001 WA9ALS - John
05-Aug-2001 Gerry K8GT
05-Aug-2001 J. Kincade
05-Aug-2001 John Kjos W9RPM
* 05-Aug-2001 Frank Norton KB8XU
04-Aug-2001 Paula M. Uscian
This Author (Aug-2001)
  Subject   Date
Rivet hole alignment problems 05-Aug-2001
* Rivet hole alignment problems 05-Aug-2001