Index Thread Archive Aug-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2001Index by Author for Aug-2001Index by Date for Aug-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Rivet hole alignment problems
Author: Gerry K8GT <k8gt@flash.net>
Date: 05-Aug-2001 11:07:42
Seems to me that even if they don't assemble the antennas before
shipment, that the elements would be drilled using a jig assembly for
that particular element/antenna. I can't believe they drill 'em by hand
on the fly. I don't own a Force 12 yet, but was planning on it. I'm
reading these posts attentively.

73, Gerry K8GT

"J. Kincade" wrote:

> This is not good news. Like many others, I am willing to pay a premium price
> for a quality antenna from a company I have confidence in. I have a 4 year
> old C3XLD that is of the old school of quality, meaning near perfect. F12
> got where they are with innovative designs and extreme attention to quality.
> I hope the profit beancounters don't destroy a good thing here, like they
> have at so many other companies. Clearly it takes extra labor and time to
> preassemble, drill, and disassemble every element before it goes in the box.
> If prices need to rise to meet that requirement, I'll pay it, within human
> reason. Keeping a premium price while simultaneously *lowering* the quality
> of the antenna in order to crank more out the door will not fly with me, and
> I think most others. There are things more horrible than a waiting list, and
> in the manufacturing business a backlog of orders, although sometimes a
> problem, is a far better problem to have than an inventory surplus. I hope
> F12 doesn't find that out the hard way.
>
> I'm planning on adding a 40M yagi to the new tower. If F12 wants to sell me
> a boom and an unmeasured and undrilled set of elements as a KIT, fine. Tell
> me up front it's a kit, include clear and accurate written instructions, and
> I'll still buy it, but not at the current prices. At $1,000 to $3,000 plus
> shipping for a yagi, I don't think drilling a couple of dozen holes and
> verifying element fit is out of line. Maybe two pricing options would work:
> The kit form (at a lower price) or the fully tested enchilada at a higher
> price for those with fatter wallets and uncertain assembly skills. It would
> be interesting to see what the difference in price turned out to be.
>
> If this is really the trend at Force 12, Mr. Tom had best nip this thing in
> the bud, right now. Are you listening, Tom?
>
> 73, Jerry W5KP
>

> > For every ones info: F12 no longer assembles and tests each antenna as
> > they advertise (and used to do).
> > Instead of making and testing each antenna F12 now makes parts. They put
> > them together in a box and ship it to you (an antenna kit so to
> > speak). They sample each batch by putting together one or?more for
> > testing. According to F12 this change was needed for a very simple
> > reason--demand could not be met the old way. THE QUALITY WAY we had all
> > come to expect!

05-Aug-2001 WA9ALS - John
05-Aug-2001 N8WRL Brian
05-Aug-2001 Pete Smith
05-Aug-2001 Frank Norton KB8XU
05-Aug-2001 WA9ALS - John
* 05-Aug-2001 Gerry K8GT
05-Aug-2001 J. Kincade
05-Aug-2001 John Kjos W9RPM
05-Aug-2001 Frank Norton KB8XU
04-Aug-2001 Paula M. Uscian
This Author (Aug-2001)
  Subject   Date
* Rivet hole alignment problems 05-Aug-2001