Index Thread Archive Aug-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2001Index by Author for Aug-2001Index by Date for Aug-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: QC and rivet hole alignment
Author: force12e <force12e@lightlink.com>
Date: 05-Aug-2001 15:30:18
Friends,

Force 12 antennas are still being made in the same manner as they were
11 years and 11,000 antennas ago. There have been some recent postings
of erroneous information indicating otherwise, but the very nature of
how we make our products makes it impossible to ship an antenna without
prior assembly.

Each element is built in halves, labeled "A" and "B" respectively.
Tubing is aligned in production per a build sheet and the exposure is
then carefully measured by the shop elf. A unique pattern is obtained
when drilling the three holes at each joint by not using a jig and
forcing the "driller" to drill at arbitrary positions in a hand drilling
operation. The elf works outward until the final tip is in place and
drilled. A second measurement is then taken for the overall length of
the half element. The element has been assembled by the construction
method used and length verified.

Each boom is built using tooling and once again, the boom sections are
drilled by hand to purposely provide a unique pattern. Each boom is
completely assembled and verified prior to shipping and packing. What
is put into a box is a preassembled boom and preassembled elements. Our
manufacturing protocol does not allow predrilled parts to simply be put
into a box without prior assembly. According to a schedule, antennas
are pulled from the assembly area and assembled to verify all
construction and measurements. In fact, some of those antennas are now
at my QTH!

Yes there have been "mistakes" as the market will not support the costs
inherent in going to a zero defects program. Most "mistakes" have to do
with improper assembly as alignment marks were misunderstood or ignored.
We have had some failures caused by tightening brackets and booms to an
extent that major components were found to be in oval shapes rather than
round. If a boom to element bracket is installed backwards, the element
may well be out of alignment. However, aligning the markings on the
boom with the marking on the boom to element bracket will provide
perfect alignment. We've also made some manufacturing errors that we
can only try to repair or replace.

At Force 12, we have two people who are competent to answer technical
questions, Tom and myself. Our production staff and our office staff do
extremely well within their own responsibilities, but they are not
versed "antenna people." The factory contact person in our office is
Allison for customer support and either Allison, Tom or I, can answer
questions or make decisions. While Tom is indeed a very busy person,
usually a response to us via E-mail gets quick attention, however there
are exceptions unfortunately. As always, I ask you bring any questions
or problems to my personal attention.

As we do not bill product until shipment, it is imperative we have our
manufacturing people make product and focus on that job only. To have
production involved with our customers is usually discouraged unless a
specific issue warrants such communications.

It is true demand has outstripped production since opening our doors,
and we still have a backlog even though we've expanded facility and
personnel. It is also true we are still committed to producing a
quality product as we have in the past. Our production policy or method
has not changed, nor will it.

With the continued support of the amateur and commercial communities, we
can persist to bring our niche market innovative, unique solutions to
our changing requirements as bands develop and technology progresses.
With many new products about to be released, we are very optimistic
about our future

Regards,

Natan W6XR/2
Force 12 East
Ithaca, NY

* 05-Aug-2001 force12e
This Author (Aug-2001)
  Subject   Date
C31XR feed and ? 29-Aug-2001
Other Manufacturers Antennas 20-Aug-2001
Promotion 29-Aug-2001
* QC and rivet hole alignment 05-Aug-2001