Index Thread Archive Aug-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2001Index by Author for Aug-2001Index by Date for Aug-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 Quality, A General Comment
Author: Frank C. Travanty <w9jcc@juno.com>
Date: 05-Aug-2001 19:14:43
I too have a C31-XR. It works well and I'm happy with it. But, I must
echo Hank's comments on quality. I had experienced exactly the same
problems that were outlined below regarding the installation manual. I
obtained a new installation manual about two years after I installed my
C31, and the same misleading photo is shown with the parallel feed wires
spaced at what appears to be about 2 inches apart. In my opinion, this
should have been corrected immediately. Someone installing the antenna,
who is not privy top this reflector, would not know that the parallel
feed has to be spaced in the neighborhood of 0.5". Yes, after several
trips up & down the tower, they may get it right or may end up calling
the factory for help. I don't mean to be critical of F12. I like my
C31-XR and WARC 2/2. They are good antenna's. Taking care of some of the
details would make them great products.
I may be alone on this one, but I just replaced all 36 of the plated u
bolts on both antennas element to boom mounting brackets with stainless
steel u bolts. Thirty five of the 36 were rusting where they pass thru
the mounting plate. Granted there was no danger of anything breaking, but
to minimize future maintenance, it was well worth it.

73,
Frank W9JCC

On Sun, 05 Aug 2001 16:57:35 -0400 Hank Phillips <aa4hp@titustek.com>
writes:
> There may have been no general consensus on the delivered quality of
> F12
> antennas posted on the reflector this weekend, but there was
> certainly a
> consensus on what F12 customers expected (and may be willing to pay
> for)
> from the company.
>
> I would summarize that expectation as quality, quality, quality,
> nothing less.
>
> I really like my C-31XR, but it was not a problem-free antenna, due
> mainly
> to the inadequacy of the installation instructions, and the lack of
> sufficient bracing in the 15/20 meter driven element spacing. I
> posted
> this beef last year in detail on this reflector.
>
> I would like to see F12 be profitable enough to continue to prosper
> and
> develop new and innovative designs, but it is clear that the F12
> customer
> base is quality driven. I hope the management keeps that high on
> their
> list of priorities.
>
> 73,
>
> Hank
> AA4HP

* 05-Aug-2001 Frank C. Travanty
05-Aug-2001 Hank Phillips
This Author (Aug-2001)
  Subject   Date
* F12 Quality, A General Comment 05-Aug-2001