Index Thread Archive Aug-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2001Index by Author for Aug-2001Index by Date for Aug-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: 40M reflector construction Qs
Author: Paula M. Uscian <netlaw@interaccess.com>
Date: 12-Aug-2001 18:08:53
I just finished building the 40M reflector portion of a C-4SXL, and have a
few questions to make sure I got this done correctly:

1. The manual says to position the cable clamp so the body of the clamp, not
the "U", is on the cable going back out to the outer insulator. Please tell
me that "the cable going back out to the outer insulator" is the portion
that comes from the outer insulator, and not the portion that comes back
under the center spreader to form the loop. I had enough fun already trying
to align that piece to be against the "U" and the other against the body,
I'll shoot myself if I have to change it around ;-) Unfortunately I can read
this instruction either way.

2. Tuning jumpers--I assume they must fasten to the loop formed by running
the alum-o-weld through the center spreader. Are the jumpers fastened to the
part of the loop formed by the cable coming from the center insulator? (and
if so, I'd recommend a change in the instructions to move one of the clamps
into this area before clamping the loop)

3. I assume that the clamp is applied to the jumper as close as one can get
it to where the jumper bends outward toward the tip--is this correct?

4. How critical are the measurements from the center spreader to the
jumpers? I measured from the clamp "U" to the center of the spreader, vs.
measuring from the closest point of the jumper which, because of the bend,
is somewhat closer than the clamp, but not yet "in line" with the cable.

5. How tight should one cinch down the clamp on the jumper and cable?

6. Is it critical whether the jumper or the cable are against the "U" (as
was the case for the cable itself when installed)?

Sorry if these questions sound too anal, but I figure I should make sure I
get this right before it goes in the air. Thanks for any help you can
provide.

73, K9IR Paula

* 12-Aug-2001 Paula M. Uscian
This Author (Aug-2001)
  Subject   Date
40M reflector build questions--Part 2 13-Aug-2001
* 40M reflector construction Qs 12-Aug-2001
Rivet hole alignment problems 04-Aug-2001
Rivet hole alignment problems--SOLVED! 05-Aug-2001
test of attachment error message 04-Aug-2001
What lubrication for boom pieces? 05-Aug-2001