Index Thread Archive Aug-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2001Index by Author for Aug-2001Index by Date for Aug-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: 40M reflector build questions--Part 2
Author: Paula M. Uscian <netlaw@interaccess.com>
Date: 13-Aug-2001 08:22:15
Thanks to all who replied to my earlier post.

A few other questions after reviewing the manual again and the online tech
note:

1. The manual mentions "A securing pin through the support and spreader
(also Alum-o-Weld wire)" which is "added after tuning is complete." I can't
find further mention of this securing pin through the remainder of the
manual. Am I supposed to clip some of the excess cable from one of the
elements and wind that through the support and spreader holes?
Or am I missing these parts?

2. The manual says to run the linear loading wire through the aluminum stud
"leaving about 1/2 inch of the wire toward the tip." The notes with the
photos, however, say "there is about 5" of wire through the stud." Which is
the correct measurement, or is this not critical?

3. The photos look like the cable clamp used to secure the alum-o-weld wire
after it passes through the center spreader is the same clamp used to secure
the tuning jumper. This also means that the loop formed by passing the cable
through the spreader and back around has to be rather small to allow the
same clamp to be used. Yet the manual says to "position the clamp toward the
end of the wire making the largest loop." What's the right way--small or
large loops, or does it even make a difference?

4. The photo notes say to make sure that the jumpers are parallel to each
other. I'll need to go back to check, but I recall my jumpers were more
bowed out from each other and not strictly parallel. How critical is this
configuration?

5. Did anyone else have as much trouble as I did getting the center spreader
through the support post? Once it got past the swagged portion at the end, I
couldn't get it to go further without covering the fiberglass tip with a
thick rag and lightly tapping the end to get it through.

Again, many thanks for help on this.

73, K9IR Paula

* 13-Aug-2001 Paula M. Uscian
This Author (Aug-2001)
  Subject   Date
* 40M reflector build questions--Part 2 13-Aug-2001
40M reflector construction Qs 12-Aug-2001
40M tuning of C-4XSL 26-Aug-2001
Rivet hole alignment problems 04-Aug-2001
Rivet hole alignment problems--SOLVED! 05-Aug-2001
test of attachment error message 04-Aug-2001
What lubrication for boom pieces? 05-Aug-2001