Index Thread Archive Aug-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2001Index by Author for Aug-2001Index by Date for Aug-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-4XL vs C-3 and EF-240S
Author: Charles T. Allen <allencpa@sat.net>
Date: 20-Aug-2001 16:43:02
Kevin:

I had the same dilemma when I tried to decide between a C-36XR and a
C-19XR/EF-240X. I originally ordered the C-36XR from Tom at Dayton, but
then after thinking about it for a month or so, called and changed my order
to the pair. Here's why.

With these particular antennas boom length and antenna weight were critical
factors. The C-36XR weighed over 100 lbs and had the 36 foot boom. This
meant more difficulty hoisting it safely to the top of the 90 foot tower.
It also meant that a heavy duty rotor would be required. I didn't know it
at the time, but there is a fair amount of "fiddling" that must be done
before the 40 meter antenna will "play". Making those adjustments on a
single 24 foot boom antenna is MUCH easier than the same exercise out on a
36 foot boom, and ain't easy even then.

Of course, I had 25 feet of heavy duty mast already on the tower, so putting
two antennas there instead of only one did not require the additional
expense of a new mast. If you already have a hefty enough mast, perhaps
buying the C-4XL would free up some mast space for VHF antennas, if that's
your thing.

The C-4XL uses a separate feedline for the 40 meter section anyway, so
you'll have to have some sort of relay box (or separate feedlines) either
way you go.

The antennas you propose are slightly smaller, and they weigh much less than
the ones I dealt with. However, I think the general issues will be similar
enough to be properly comparable.

Good luck with your project.

73 de Chas W5DV