Index Thread Archive Aug-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2001Index by Author for Aug-2001Index by Date for Aug-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: 40M tuning of C-4XSL
Author: Harris Leck VK4CWT <leckfam@attglobal.net>
Date: 27-Aug-2001 04:38:13
Paula,

1. Yes both clamps should clamp the folded wire and the jumper. This helps
to make the structure solid and to clearly identify where all the wires are
touching. I would resonant the driver first and then tune the reflector for
front to back. Note that the coil will only adjust the match, it won't
change the resonant frequency much at all. So get the low SWR point where
you want it, then adjust the coil. I also use the MFJ Analyzer and you can
zero in on the low point right on the tower if you set up the coax properly.
2. I seem to recall Force 12 saying the leads should be around 2" but one
inch either way won't make much difference on 40. Sometimes other antennas
in the vicinity can affect the element but I would just push out the jumper
until you get the resonant point where you want it.
3. I adjust all the jumpers on my antenna. Other wise it would be like
shortening just one side of a dipole to make it resonant. Both sides should
be the same.

The linear loaded elements are fiddly but once you get them to the right
point everything will work fine. The difference in length between a dipole
at 6.8 Mhz and one at 7.050 Mhz is about 2.5 feet. So each side needs to be
shortened by 1.25 feet or 15" . Since you are moving the jumper on both
sides of the wire that comprises one side of the driven element, I would
change each side by about 7.5" from the original point ( you have moved one
side 2" so only move that side another 5.5"). I measure exactly where the
clamps are to make sure all four sets (8 clamps total) are in the same
place.

GL,

Harris VK4CWT VE6DK