Index Thread Archive Sep-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Sep-2001Index by Author for Sep-2001Index by Date for Sep-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Antennas and tower
Author: K7LXC@aol.com <K7LXC@aol.com>
Date: 06-Sep-2001 09:48:33
In a message dated 9/5/01 10:07:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time, list@qth.com
writes:

> I have a chance to get a US tower TMM-433HD. The tower has a height of
33'w/
> o Mast and can handle 24 sq. ft. at 50mph.
>
> So I would like to put up a C-4SXL (40-10meter beam)and a EF-180S 80/73mtr
> Rotated dipole, and finally a small 6 meter beam. The total would be about
> 14sq. ft.
>
> My questions are:
> 1. Does this seem like a good configuration? Is there enough height for
> these antennas. I live in the desert so there is pleanty of space and
> clearance, my main concern is will an 80mtr dipole work at that height?

The first question you need to answer is "what is your county windspeed
rating?" You can find out from the website <A
HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.championradio.com</A> under Tech
Notes. The minimum rating is 70 MPH which will downrate the 50 MPH wind
pressure figure significantly. I just installed a MA-850MDP which is rated at
10 sq.ft. @ 50 MPH but was only rated at a 25 pound load in the PE drawing
calculations at 80 MPH.

As far as the configuration, F12 wants 12 feet separation between the
antennas so now you need a significant mast.

> 2. How would the antennas be arranged? C-4SXL on bottom then EF-180S in
> middle and then the 6mtr on top or should it be the other way around?

I'd go 6M at top, EF-180 and then the C4; that'll be the easiest on the
mast.

> 3. Finally, since there are 4 feed lines should I use some kind of
switchbox
> at the tower or just run 4 cables to a manual switchbox in the shack?

Your call. Personally I prefer straight to the shack since that'll
eliminate a potential failure in the feedline system. The costs are probably
similar anyway.

Cheers, Steve K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products