Index Thread Archive Sep-2001 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Sep-2001Index by Author for Sep-2001Index by Date for Sep-2001   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: MAG 340N Tuning question?
Author: Pat Thurman <thurman@primenet.com>
Date: 08-Sep-2001 17:08:16
force12e wrote:

> Pat,
>
> Just got back in the office and wanted to answer you as I just put up a
> C39XRN which uses two of the same "N" elements as your 340N. Take each
> element up by itself about 30' without the boom. You must use a balun
> as you resonate each element. Be sure you return the shorting strap to
> its original position on the two parasitic elements. Also be sure the
> hairpin coil is in place along with the balun when you tune the driver.
> It is certainly easier to have the element to boom brackets in place as
> their presence facilitates the raising of the element and these brackets
> are electrically benign.

Thank you very much Natan!! This helps a lot...

> The spacers need only be held in place by the compound we provide in the
> box, but the mechanical design stops the spacer from moving. If you
> choose to use vinyl tape, that will pose no problem.

Hmmm. My 340N has been sitting in my garage for 14 months till I could
get my tower up.
Frank, at the factory, told me that mine was a very early model. I
don't know if there have been any changes in the Lexan spacer, but mine
is real loose and floppy. I was concerned about brittle fatigue as the
aluminum wires will certainly be subject to a lot of vibration. I
didn't get any No-Al-Ox or any silicone compound with my 340N like I did
with my C31XR's. I guess they forgot to put it in there. I have some
on hand anyway, so I'll use that... I've got a huge tube of RTV 108 and
Frank said that'd work ok...

Is there something new about the mechanical design that keeps the spacer
steady? Mine just has a hole for the element to pass thru, and two much
smaller ones for the linear loading wires to pass thru. The spacer can
go no further out than the end of the 'U' shape, and it is limited to
coming no closer to the studs, by the next size larger element tubing.
Chris, DL5NAM, suggested maybe drilling the element hole a bit larger to
get a snug fit over the next size element and then sealing THAT with
silicone. What do you think?

Thank you very much for your reply!
--
73, Pat K7KR