Index Thread Archive Apr-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2002Index by Author for Apr-2002Index by Date for Apr-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma-5
Author: John Petrich <petrich@u.washington.edu>
Date: 28-Apr-2002 23:42:33
Lloyd and all,

Your question about the ground screen is a good one and is relevant to
any vertical antenna application. There have been posted recently other
questions about any potential benefit from elevating the Sigma antennas.
This question is also relevant to any vertical antenna application. The
Sigma vertical antennas happen to an efficient and rugged design that
permits hams to experiment with a number of different vertical antenna
installations. Guy's detailed response to the ground screen question is a
"modern" and "correct" answer based on engineering principles and data, not
"ham mythology" and wishful thinking. Guy's comment's also speak to the
question of elevating vertical antennas above ground. I agree 100% with
Guy's comments.

Guy's initial brief comment on "clearing local obstructions" is so very
important and is all too often under appreciated by many hams, as judged
from how they install their vertical antennas. Many hams have noted
material improvement in vertical antenna performance when they are able to
elevate the vertical antenna above the ground or even place the vertical on
the roofs of buildings. No ground screens here. The improvement is real
and does not come from any substantial "gain" from low angle propagation.
Instead the apparent "gain" comes from improvement in the propagation
efficiency of the radiated EM wave propagating from the antenna. In other
words, the improvements are from reduced near field losses, not gain. The
improved propagation efficiency comes largely from removing the antenna (and
it's near field) well away from local obstructions.

I would look for more potential benefit from locating my Sigma vertical
in the clear than I would ever get from a ground screen system.

Regards,

John Petrich, W7FU