Index Thread Archive May-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2002Index by Author for May-2002Index by Date for May-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: TA-33 Vs C-31XR
Author: Hank Phillips <aa4hp@titustek.com>
Date: 25-May-2002 11:08:52
I replaced a Fritzel FB-33 (a TA-33 lookalike but better mechanically) with
a C-31XR about two years ago after getting fed up with putting new traps on
the FB-33's driven elements. An insect would get up through the drain
holes, and when you sock a KW to it, poof, up goes the bug, then the
trap. On the third set, I gave up, and put up a C-31XR.

It was actually difficult for me to believe the difference in how the bands
sounded for a few weeks. Most noticeable was how things went in the
pileups, from third to tenth call, to first to third depending on the
thickness of things. I even got the P5 on 15 meters, from Florida, about
as far away as you can get in this DXCC entity. The antenna is only 60
feet up, pretty wimpy on the overall scale of things.

There are no perfect antennas, but I am happy with the swap. Anybody want
an FB-33 with toasted traps?

73,

Hank
AA4HP