Index Thread Archive Jun-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2002Index by Author for Jun-2002Index by Date for Jun-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C-3 Problem
Author: Bill Barbee <bbarbee@watervalley.net>
Date: 16-Jun-2002 14:14:16
I just bought a Force 12 C-3 antenna and got it up and
on my tower on May 26th. I have noticed a possible problem
on the 15 meter band. I use a Yaesu FT-840, Ameritron
AL811 amp at 400 watts and an MFJ-962D 1500 watt
antenna tuner. When I tune up my FT-840 transceiver with
25 watts I get my antenna tuner on 1 to 1 SWR. I then turn on my
AL811 amp and set the load control to 4 then adjust the plate
control to get maximum power output. Usually this is about 9 on
the plate knob. I have noticed that when I turn the Plate control from
counterclockwise to clockwise I see the SWR shoot way up to 3 to 1 or
so.
That is...when I turn the knob say from 6 to 10. If I just turn my plate

knob just a small amount I don't get a high SWR. It's
only when I move the knob quite a bit. This happens only on 15 meters.
I wonder if you have any suggestions on what to try to correct his.
Is there a problem with the 15 meter elements on the C-3 antenna? Has
anyone experienced this? The antenna seems to work all right. Just
wanted
to try and get to the bottom of this. This didn't happen with my last
yagi antenna.

Thanks,
Bill Barbee W5LV

16-Jun-2002 Barry Kirkwood