Index Thread Archive Jun-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2002Index by Author for Jun-2002Index by Date for Jun-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Chirp-Chirp
Author: Francisco Costa <fcosta@mail.telepac.pt>
Date: 26-Jun-2002 17:30:14
Hi All

About two weeks ago, the day before I went on holidays,
as usual, I disconnected all antennas from my radios.
(This allow me to have a more relaxed vacation :0)
Without coincidence, later that same day, very dark clouds
sudenly appeard and promised a storm. But despite some
rain drops, no thunder or lightning was observed.
However a (very) wierd thing was noted: when those dark
clouds were forming, on my back yard a strange sound
come out of no where!
First it sound like a "clik", but then sounded more like a
"chirp". The cadence wasn't constant, but during a brief
period it was less than a second, like: "chirp-chirp-chirp".
I look around for the source of the sound and it lead me
to my new self suported 15m tower. On top there are
3 antennas: 5 elem 6m and 21 elem 2m yagi from Tonna,
and a Force 12 C4XL. I was about to climb to the top
to check exactly the origin of the sound, but for obvious
reasons I gave up the idea. Even so, I'm preety sure the
sound came from the C4XL. But I don't understand why!
I never have "seen" this kind of efect on an antenna.
Have you? Do you have a reasonable explanation for this?
If you, I really apreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.

Best 73
F.Costa, CT1EAT
http://www.qsl.net/ct1eat

P.S. FYI the tower has a good earth (8.9 Ohm, last measured)

28-Jun-2002 VR2BrettGraham
27-Jun-2002 =?iso-8859-1?Q?KJ=D8M?=
27-Jun-2002 Henry Heidtmann
27-Jun-2002 Brian, N8WRL