Index Thread Archive Jun-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2002Index by Author for Jun-2002Index by Date for Jun-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Rain Static (was: [Force 12 Talk] Chirp-Chirp)
Author: D C Macdonald <k2gkk@hotmail.com>
Date: 27-Jun-2002 14:15:56

Rain static, as I remember having read somewhere, is the
result of each individual raindrop hitting the antenna.
Each raindrop, according to the theory I remember, is
water vapor that has condensed on a charged particle of
dust. Therefore, each time a raindrop hits the antenna,
it is accompanied by a bit of static charge.

Regarding the clicking, I would surmise that this is
static electricity arcing to earth from the locally
charged atmosphere. It is definitely time to get away
from the activity.

Before my house and antenna installation were destroyed
three years ago by the big Oklahoma tornado outbreak, I
had never had a lightning strike on the tower, mast, and
vertical 2m beam that reached 73 feet (22.25 meters).
Neighbors, however, had reported FIRE flying off the
antennas. I never saw it, but presume this was Saint
Elmo's fire which was first experienced by the crews of
sailing ships. This "fire" would sometimes fly around in
the rigging for the sails. It is also occasionally seen
by by aircrews flying in a highly charged atmosphere.

While it is not necessarily a precursor of lightning
strikes, it certainly signifies very high levels of charge
in the local atmosphere. I would certainly take it as an
indicator of a need to seek a more appropriate position.

73 - Mac, K2GKK/5
Oklahoma City, OK