Index Thread Archive Jul-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2002Index by Author for Jul-2002Index by Date for Jul-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C31XR & guy wire detuning
Author: Jerry Kincade <w5kp@swbell.net>
Date: 24-Jul-2002 06:18:22
Well said, Guy. This is another of the continuing stream of examples
illustrating the irrefutable logic of making at least a part of all upper
guys non-conducting. It never ceases to amaze me how many problems and
continuing headaches we hams will put up with in order to wrestle with a
bunch of 1950's style heavy EHS and egg insulators, which I believe in the
long run are actually more expensive to use, especially if you honestly
figure in the time, hassle, and Excedrin involved.
73, Jerry W5KP

> The alternative (that you don't want to hear) is to get 100' (that's
> all) of Philly, cut it into three 33' sections, only SIX Philly grips.
> Put the upper Philly grips direct to the tower, the bottom Philly grip
> to a big grip on the remaining steel (no insulators needed). That will
> put the wire 33' down and away from the C31, and hugely minimize any
> guy effect.
>
> And you're going to tell me it's cheaper to ship nine insulators and
> 18 big grips than 100' of Philly (weighs the same as rope) and six
> Philly grips? Or maybe you got the insulators and the grips laying
> around.
>
> The Philly sure looks better.
>
> Whatever. Best of luck & 73.
>
> Guy.