Index Thread Archive Jul-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2002Index by Author for Jul-2002Index by Date for Jul-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C31XR & guy wire detuning
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 24-Jul-2002 16:43:05
At 01:37 PM 7/24/02 -0600, Sylvan Katz wrote:
>Yep - those grips are the right ones. They are even labeled "3 PC 3/16" wire
>rope clips" - I have three packages on hand. I have been using the for
>years. One package of the clips plus a thimble and presto for under $2 you
>have one end of the wire rope finished - of course this does not include
>turn buckles etc.

Ah, I see a terminology problem. What you have are usually called cable
clamps down south. Takes three per end, and they must be retightened
periodically, particularly when first installed -- that could be a pain in
the ... for insulators breaking up guy wires.

I also recall reading on towertalk that wire rope and 3/16 EHS guy wire are
different creatures -- may even be laid up in the opposite sense, though
I'm not sure of that. Don't know if that makes any difference for cable
clamps.

Hope you get your Phillystran -- that's still the best solution, though you
will need to cannibalize your existing guys to make "pigtails" to connect
the bottom ends to your guy anchors. Good hunting.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org