Index Thread Archive Jul-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2002Index by Author for Jul-2002Index by Date for Jul-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C31XR & guy wire detuning
Author: Roy D Lincoln <wa4dou@juno.com>
Date: 24-Jul-2002 21:59:56
My tower is 52 ft. high. Guyed at 2 levels with 3/16th" EHS and
compression insulators, 5 in each upper wire, 4 in each lower. Its
a flattop tower and the top wires are just long enough for the 2
preforms to look at each other with perhaps 4" of EHS between
them. Then the next length is 11', the next is 12', the next is 13.
My tower isn't ugly, nor are the guys. Because I live in eastern N.C.
I can expect my tower to be subjected to hurricane force winds
on at least a few occasions. I trust EHS because its proven, and its
strong and its recommended by Rohn and it lasts year after year. I
don't know anything about Phillistran. Is it degraded by ultraviolet
light. How strong is it? How long does it last? I don't know. My C3SS
works just like its supposed to! 73 Roy WA4DOU

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:24:42 -0400 "Guy Olinger, K2AV"
<k2av@contesting.com> writes:
> No.
>
> EVERY tribander, regardless of style or manufacturer, should be
> shipped with that caveat:

> WARNING! Presence of metal conductors, other than a vertical tower
> for
> support, within 10 meters of this antenna in any direction may
> detune
> this antenna, resulting in off-design feed impedance and severe
> pattern modification. This includes other antennas and metallic guy
> wires. Non-metallic guys are encouraged, especially the upper 10
> meters of guys.

> Of course no tribander manufacturer wants to trumpet that on the
> front
> page, because they want you to follow that impulse and buy it. You
> learn about all the caveats and don't-do's when you start reading
> the
> fine print, or if you read this reflector or TowerTalk.
>
> Forty's need the same warning, except 20 meters.

25-Jul-2002 Joe Mitchell
25-Jul-2002 Pete Smith
25-Jul-2002 K7LXC@aol.com
* 24-Jul-2002 Roy D Lincoln